Wednesday 15 November 2017

Gothic Bible: Religious Belief & The Gothic Village in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Part One)

The following post by Emily Marlow is part of an ongoing 'Gothic Bible Blog Series' and part of the Gothic Bible project, a collaborative project run by Sheffield Gothic and SIIBS at the University of Sheffield, and also the University of Auckland. You can find out more about the project here, and if you want to contribute to the blog series you can email us at Gothic Bible@sheffield.ac.uk or tweet us at @GothicBible. 


The Witcher was released in 2015 as the final instalment of a trilogy of games based around the character of Geralt of Rivia, also known as The White Wolf, also known as The Butcher of Blavikin.  Geralt is, like the title suggests, a Witcher. He has been trained since childhood to be a monster hunter for hire. Witchers operate by travelling the country, inquiring in villages as to whether there are bounties out for supernatural beasts (or people) whom the village requires help with, and by fulfilling the terms of the bounties for exchange of money, goods or shelter.


Unfortunately for Geralt, he is now one of the last of this breed of people as Witchers are no longer taught, and seemingly, no longer required. It turns out that the Witchers have been almost too efficient, and nearly all the monsters in the world are extinct. Geralt is old (over 100), chemically altered and almost supernatural himself – he has also SEEN THINGS – dealing with the many and varied types of supernatural beings is actually his day job. As such he has little to no problem with believing in the “unknown” forces of the world. Spirits, witches, warlocks, local gods, zombies, demons, werewolves, curses, harpies and griffons. Geralt has faced them all.

The Witcher plays out in what is called an “Open World” game. Open-world games are exactly what it says on the tin, games which take place in an “open”, virtual world. Unlike other games which may take place closed locations that have to be accessed through loading screens, separating the worlds into “Levels” or “Areas” – Open-world games are landscapes that the player can traverse from end to end freely. Open-world games are often the basis for RPG (Role Playing Game) genre stories, such as those found in DragonAge: Inquisition, or Skyrim. RPGS are described by Frans Mayra as a ‘hybrid form of leisure that combines features from strategy games and interactive storytelling.’ [i] Open-world games can often be set in Medieval style fantasy settings, yet there are also non-medieval game settings, with titles like the Fallout franchise, Grand Theft Auto, and even Minecraft.

Open-world games allow for a high level of player immersion within the game’s story. Immersion, the level to which the player believes in the authenticity of a game world, is highly sought after within video game design and play. High immersion requires a much more detailed player experience, so the more nuanced a video game experience is, the more believable it is, the more believable, the greater the opportunity for ‘full’ immersion.  Immersion also allows for a deeper level of empathy with the player character or avatar, as explained by Katherine Ibister in How Games Move Us:

…over the course of gameplay, players extend themselves further into the motivations and the visceral, cognitive, social and fantasy possibilities of the avatar, forging an identification grounded in observation as well as action and experience. [ii]

As Witcher 3 is an Open-world game, there is not just one haunted house, but entire haunted villages. There are multiple swamps, complete with ghouls and other monsters, and there is not one singular vampire, but communities of them. By creating this open environment that encourages full player immersion, the game works to free the player from reality and puts them into a position of full control. Unlike the loss of power or control suffered by many a gothic hero or heroine on entering the gothic space of the narrative, The Witcher gives players agency and a hero who is almost invincible to embody.

So, how does the Gothic Village come into this, and what exactly is it?


The Gothic Village is a proposed umbrella term that would include similar location based Gothic tropes, such as those of Ubervald – the Translyvanian countryside castle of Dracula and his kin, or ‘The Town With a Dark Secret’ – a place that author Stephen King refers to as ‘The Perculiar Little Town’. These locations often feature a small town, community or village where something is definitely wrong and no one wants to talk about it. King uses this in multiple books but the most famous is probably the fictional town of Derry, where Pennywise the clown lives. It’s also seen in King’s Salem’s Lot, or in Lovecraft’s Innsmouth.

The Gothic Village, as seen in The Witcher, has much in common with the genre of the Southern Gothic, or with Lovecraft Country. It exists as a medieval wasteland complete with every Gothic creature under the sun. In the Gothic Village there are the swamps of the Southern Gothic, the rotting corpses hanging from trees or wasting away in deserted battlefields, long abandoned. There are the supernatural nightscapes of Lovecraft country, the skin changing otherworldly beings beyond comprehension.  However, unlike Lovecraft Country, the evil and the corrupt are not actually the supernatural beings but instead their human antagonists.

Another repeated feature of these Gothic Villages is the often completely complicit, tight-knit community who are aware of their constantly dwindling numbers and who are participants in the osterisation of those they consider to be ‘Other.’ In The Witcher the complicity is evident but instead one of the most prominent features of this particular Gothic Village is the way in which this supernatural, unreal world appears to be very much ‘real,’ even mundane.

Villagers will tell you (as Geralt) of how they fell in love with the village werewolf, how they are upset by the lack of communication with a local God, how they are worried about the girl from the nearby village who has become a ghost – not because she scares them but because she is polluting the already low water supply – she’s haunting a well.


In the world of The Witcher, supernatural beings are commonplace, so much so that no-one seems to bat an eyelid at the Witches who live in a nearby swamp and take offerings from the community in the form of ears, and more problematically, children.

Instead of the inescapable dark closed locations of many pieces of Gothic literature, The Witcher’s gothic world, albeit described to the player as a desolate place, is actually quite picturesque, separating it from the stereotypical sinister and dark places of gothic horror.

Instead of being concerned about whether or not giving your children to the Crones is a good or bad idea, residents seem so down on their luck that they are more concerned with how the harvest will pan out. For the inhabitants of Velen there is never the question of ‘do you in believe this?’ because they have seen everything with their own eyes. They have paid for good harvests with their own ears.

Stay tuned for Part Two of this post tomorrow.


Emily Marlow is a PhD researcher within SIIBS at the University of Sheffield, exploring religion and sexuality video games. She is currently researching Dragon Age romances, and is particularly fond of romances that involve the Iron Bull. Part of the Gothic Bible project, she is also the brains behind Gaming the Gothic which you can follow on twitter at @GamingTheGothic. 


[i] Frans Mayra, Introduction to Game Studies, p.78
[ii] Ibister, How Games Move Us, p. 13

9 comments:

  1. Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your method to explaining, I hope to see more posts from your blog. thank you!
    Gothic Clothing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gothic clothing is trending fashion especially in the UK. If you are looking for different kind of womens gothic clothing online then visit jordash clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through my life weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how I could be transformed into a powerful person when I came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed about of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and I bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Tom cam!!! i am very grateful sharing this great testimonies with you all, The best thing that has ever happened in my life, is how i worn the Powerball lottery. I do believe that someday i will win the Powerball lottery. finally my dreams came through when i contacted Dr. OSE and tell him i needed the lottery winning special numbers cause i have come a long way spending money on ticket just to make sure i win. But i never knew that winning was so easy with the help of Dr. OSE, until the day i meant the spell caster testimony online, which a lot of people has talked about that he is very powerful and has great powers in casting lottery spell, so i decided to give it a try. I emailed Dr. OSE and he did a spell and gave me the winning lottery special numbers 62, and co-incidentally I have be playing this same number for the past 23years without any winning, But believe me when I play the special number 62 this time and the draws were out i was the mega winner because the special 62 matched all five white-ball numbers as well as the Powerball, in the April 4 drawing to win the $70 million jackpot prize...… Dr. OSE, truly you are the best, with Dr. OSE you can will millions of money through lottery. i am a living testimony and so very happy i meant him, and i will forever be grateful to him...… you can Email him for your own winning special lottery numbers now oseremenspelltemple@gmail.com OR WHATSAPP him +2348136482342        

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm Melvin Martins. from the United States. I started playing lottery games 7 years ago and I have never won big. I went online to seek help on how I can win big in my lottery games and I saw some nice reviews about Dr John who has made different people huge winners in their lottery games with his prayers. I gave it a try and I contacted Dr John who told me how and what to do before I can become a big lotto winner and I accepted. He made special prayers for me at his temple and gave me the required numbers to play the lotto game and when I played it, I won a massive $235.4 million POWERBALL jackpot. I was so happy and I chose to receive my winnings in a one-time, lump-sum payment of $160,038,447.27 at Florida Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee and the balance was given to the store that I bought & played the game from. I would love other people to seek help from him and he can be contacted through WhatsApp/call/text via this number +1 (803) 820 2671 or you can email him on: Drjohnwinlotterspell@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello i am out here to spread this good news to the entire world on how i got my wife back. I was going crazy when my wife left me for another man last month, But when i meet a friend that introduce me to Dr Ogaga the great messenger to the oracle that he serve, I narrated my problem to Dr Ogaga about how my wife left me. He only said to me that i have come to the right place were i will be getting my heart desire without any side effect. He told me what i need to do, After it was been done, In the next 24 hours, My wife called me on the phone and was saying sorry for living me before now. I am so happy and overwhelmed that i have to tell this to the entire world on how Dr Ogaga help me grant my heart desire. If you need any kind of help contact Dr Ogaga at the following Whats-App +2347059387282

    Whats-App +2347059387282

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was cured of CANCER with the used of natural herbs. I love herbs so much. Most times, injection and drugs are just a waste of time. I was cured 8 months ago, i suffered from CANCER for 3 yrs but with the help of Dr. JOSHUA herbal medicine, i was cured within few weeks of drinking the herbs he sent to me through courier delivery service. This same doctor also cured my Aunty from FIBROID, as soon as i heard she had FIBROID, i quickly refer her to Dr. JOSHUA and she was cured too after drinking his herbs. I have referred more than 15 persons to Dr. JOSHUA and they were all cured from their various illness. Have you taken herbs before?. You have spent so much money on drugs, injections, surgeries etc and yet you have no good result to show for it. Contact Dr. JOSHUA now, he is a herbalist doctor, i assured you of a cure if you drink his natural herbs. Dr. JOSHUA have herbs that cures Hiv Herpes, diabetics, asthma, hepatitis, HBP, STD, cancer, chronic, etc. Contact Dr JOSHUA through his Email address on: {dr.joshuaherbalhome6@gmail.com} or whatsapp him on +2347048515927 Please share the good news to other people once you are cured . .

    ReplyDelete